2.28.2009

Why do we attend church?

Provoked to thought by Mrs Ledding's question last week I thought I would 'jump on the band wagon' and see what happened! I too have a question...
(actually there are about 5!!)

As I have been wandering through cyberspace from blog to blog I have been enjoying the fact that many are created by Christians. However, I also noticed that although many profess Christ, few ever mention what they believe about Him, His great salvation or His church. I would like to focus on the latter.
The Church of Christ.
Do we attend church? Why do we attend church?
Should it make me a church member?
And then, what kind of church member should I be?

I have been getting ready today to attend
As I was doing this it caused me to think about these questions.
I wondered what others were doing today?
Having fellowship with friends?
Are they cooking a meal to take with them tomorrow?
Are they preparing for a Sunday school lesson?
Are they out with their families?
Have they even thought about tomorrow yet?
(For some of you it is already tomorrow:)!)
Have you prepared your heart to worship Him,
to listen to what He may have to teach you, have I?

I look forward to your feed back on these questions, your Lord's Day or any other comments you have on the topic in general. I hope you have a blessed day in His courts.

1 comment:

Mrs.L said...

Hi Elaine,
Great questions! I would like to address your question on why we attend church? As Christians we are commanded by God to honor Him on the Sabbath. (Exodus 20:8)

As Calvin Knox Cummings states:

"The Word of God, the sacraments and prayer are provisions of God for our growth in grace. But we must use them in the context of Christian fellowship, which God also provides for our growth. 'They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer'( Acts 2:42, emphasis added ). We are not just to pray alone, but together as a church, addressing 'Our Father.' We are not just to read the Word of God alone, but to gather in fellowship to hear the Word of God preached publicly. 'Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another- and all the more as you see the Day approaching' ( Hebrews 10:25 ).

Thanks again for such thoughtful questions...... in order that we can together as sisters continue to search deeply the depths of our "High calling in Christ Jesus!"

Blessings on this glorious Lord's Day, dear sister in Christ!
Pam