3.04.2009

March Is For The Irish !!

I'm not really Irish you know!!

I'm actually Ulster Scots and if you have any knowledge of British or Irish history you will know this is a very BIG difference!!
However, growing up I took part in Irish dancing, I played the penny whistle and fiddle (not at the same time!) in a Ceili band, sang traditional Irish songs and enjoyed a lot of things that would be culturally Irish! When I travelled away from home ( to another country ) and people asked me where I was from, it seemed a lot easier to say Ireland than try to explain I live in Ireland but it is actually the United Kingdom..."Now how is that?" they would ask ...and so it would go on....

Since coming to the United States I have started to become even more 'Irish'.
We go and see the St Patrick's Day parade, the kids wear silly Irish hats and we sing 'The Fields of Athenry' !!!
I can hear some of you gasp who know us :o :)

And then to top it all off President Obama has gone and declared March as Irish Heritage Month.

This is his proclamation....

So in light of this I thought I would have a 'bit of blarney with ye all' and I am going to try and post something connected with Ireland every day during the month of March. If you have anything you would like to contribute just email it to me and I will post it. (Subject to screening by me!!) There is a recipe for Potato Soup just below or here if you miss the post..
I look forward to having some 'craic' (pronounced crack) with you...

No comments: